Master Drawings New York (MDNY) has announced the exhibitor and event line up for the much-anticipated 2020 edition which returns to the Upper East Side from Saturday, January 25 through Saturday, February 1. The Preview takes place on Friday, January 24. Twenty-five of the world’s leading international art dealers will exhibit an outstanding array of drawings, paintings, watercolors, sculpture from the 14th to the 21st centuries.
Now in its 14th year, the annual week-long event presents an array of exhibitions mostly along Madison Avenue on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. It features pop-up gallery exhibitions by leading dealers from London, Paris, Brussels and Vienna, and special presentations mounted in private gallery spaces by top New York specialists.
MDNY has consistently grown in size and acclaim. Five new exhibitors join the already eminent roster, adding new collecting areas and rich diversity. These include Galerie Eric Coatalem (France), Hans P. Kraus Jr. Fine Photographs (USA), Moeller Fine Art Ltd. (Germany, USA), Weiss Gallery (UK) and Victoria Munroe Fine Art (USA).
Originally conceived as an annual gallery walk, Master Drawings New York has grown into a ‘must-see’ event, receiving strong support as its range and influence has grown each year. Each exhibition is hosted by an expert specialist and many works on offer are newly discovered or have not been seen on the market in decades, if at all.
“We are delighted to welcome such exciting specialist dealers to Master Drawings for the 2020 edition,” says Crispian Riley-Smith, Co-Founding Director of MDNY. “MDNY is such a tremendously unique event. For its devoted followers, museum curators, collectors, interior designers and new visitors, it has truly become a jewel in the crown of the Winter Season in New York.”
Master Drawings New York offers visiting and private dealers to have a platform to exhibit exceptional artworks in New York during an important time for historic art in the city.
MDNY 2019 INSTITUTIONAL PARTNERSHIPS EVENT HIGHLIGHTS
An extraordinary line-up of partner events will take place in conjunction with Master Drawings New York.
Special Loan Exhibition from Bowdoin College Museum of Art:
Dates: January 25 – February 2
Location: Driscoll Babcock Fine Arts Building, 22 E 80th Street
Presenting a selection of drawings from the Bowdoin College Museum of Art of Brunswick, Maine, home to one of the oldest collections of drawings in the United States. The exhibition will be on view throughout Master Drawings week at Driscoll Babcock on 22 E 80th Street. This is a unique opportunity to see this exhibition of important works rarely seen outside of Maine.
A lecture hosted by Bowdoin College Museum of Art will take place on Sunday, January 26 at 4 pm.
Exhibition sponsored in part by Peter Bownes-Johnson,
Partner, Private Clients, Vizion Insurance Brokers
The Met Lecture Event: Collector’s Choice: Shaping the Met’s Collections
Dates: Friday, January 24 at 11 am
Location: The Met’s Art Study Room, 1000 5th Ave
As the Met launches its 150th anniversary year, four Met curators from The Department of Drawings and Prints and The Robert Lehman Collection will present on masterpieces that came to the museum as gifts and bequests from key patrons whose contributions have made the Met’s drawing collection what it is today.
This event is sponsored by Christie’s
Fourth Edition of Master Drawings Week Symposium with the Master Drawings Journal: Master Drawings: Then and Now
Date: Tuesday, January 28 at 5:30 pm
Location: The Institute of Fine Arts, NYU, 1 E 78th Street, New York
Join us for an evening celebrating the origins of Master Drawings and envisioning its future. Editor Jane Turner explores the career and legacy of the journal's founding editor, Felice Stampfle, and looks ahead to new initiatives planned for the Master Drawings’ 58th year. The program will be followed by a cocktail reception and a chance to mingle with the journal’s Editorial Board.
- Saturday, January 25 at 10 am: Roberta Olson, Curator of Drawings at the New-York Historical Society will give a tour of her exhibition Artist in Exile: The Visual Diary of Baroness Hyde de Neuville.
- Saturday, January 25 at 5 pm: Talking Drawings: A Conversation with Collectors, women collectors of drawings are led in conversation by Morgan Library curator, Jennifer Tonkovich. At Driscoll Babcock, 22 E 80th
- Tours to be led by MDNY and Drawing New York through the first weekend of MDNY (January 24, 25, 26, 27)
- Tuesday, January 28th at 10 am: At the Cooper Hewitt Julia Siemon, Assistant Curator, Drawings, Prints & Graphic Design, will present Stradanus at Cooper Hewitt: A Closer Look in their Study Center for Drawings and Prints.
- Friday, January 31 at 10 am: John Marciari, Drawings & Prints Department Curator and Department Head at the Morgan Library & Museum, to lead a tour of the exhibition, Guercino: Virtuoso Draftsman.
**Registration is required for all events. Further details on ticketing and registration is available on our website – www.masterdrawingsnewyork.com. All images used in the partnership events section are not to be reprinted without prior permission from the institutions that own the works/images**
2020 MDNY EXHIBITORS
- Ambrose Naumann Fine Art (USA) 19th and 20th-century paintings and works on paper
- Cade Tompkins Projects (USA) Contemporary art
- Christopher Bishop Fine Art (USA) Old Master to 20th Century Drawings
- Colnaghi (Spain, USA, UK) Fine Art from the 1st to the 20th centuries
- David Tunick (USA) Old Master - Modern Prints and Drawings
- Découvert Fine Art (USA) Drawings, paintings, and objects discovered in France and Italy
- Didier Aaron (France, USA) Master Drawings, 1600-1875
- Galerie Eric Coatalem (France) Specializes in the paintings, drawings and sculptures of French masters from the 17th to the 20th century *
- Guy Peppiatt (UK) 18th and 19th-century British Watercolors and Drawings
- Hans P. Kraus Jr. Fine Photographs (USA) 19th and early 20th century photography *
- Hazlitt (USA, UK) Old Master to 19th Century European Art
- James Mackinnon (UK) Old Masters, 19th Century Paintings, Watercolors and Drawings
- Jill Newhouse (USA) 19th and 20th century European and American works on paper
- Leon Tovar (USA) Modern Latin American Art; Latin American Master Drawings
- Les Enluminures (France, USA) Specializing in manuscripts and miniatures from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the gallery also handles rings and jewelry from the same periods
- Mary-Anne Martin | Fine Art (USA) Dedicated to Mexican and Latin American art
- Mireille Mosler (USA) Dutch drawings from the 16th to the 20th century
- Moeller Fine Art Ltd. (Germany, USA) 19th and early 20th Century Masters *
- Stephen Ongpin Fine Art (UK) Master drawings, watercolors and oil sketches dating from the 16th through the 20th centuries
- Stuart Lochhead Sculpture (UK) Antiquity to the 20th century works
- Taylor & Graham (USA) American and European paintings from the 19th and 20th centuries
- The Weiss Gallery (UK) Specialist dealer in Tudor, Stuart & Northern European Old Master Portraiture *
- Victoria Munroe Fine Art (USA) Specializes in exhibitions of modern and contemporary art, often juxtaposed with historical works on paper *
- M. Brady & Co., Inc. (USA) Old Master Drawings; Old Master and 19th-century Drawings, 1520-1930 *
- W&K – Wienerroither & Kohlbacher (Austria, USA) Austrian Secessionist, German Expressionist and International Modern paintings and works on paper
*Denotes new exhibitor
About Master Drawings New York
Master Drawings New York, the preeminent event for drawings on the calendar of art lovers, began as a casual gallery walk during the Old Masters auctions and The Winter Show in New York. Since its co-founding in 2006 by Margot Gordon, an Old Masters specialist in New York City, and Crispian Riley-Smith of UK, the week has grown into a highly anticipated occasion.
Master Drawings New York
Saturday, January 25 through Saturday, February 1, 2020, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday, January 26, 2 – 6 pm
Preview day: Friday, January 24, 4-8 p.m.
Registration is free and required for all events. Further details on ticketing and registration is available on our website - www.masterdrawingsnewyork.com.
About Master Drawings New York
Established in 2006 and co-founded by Margot Gordon and Crispian Riley-Smith, Masters Drawings New York (MDNY) is the pre-eminent event for exhibiting and celebrating old master through contemporary drawings in the United States. Dealers from the United States and Europe showcase their highest quality drawings in galleries along Madison Avenue on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Scheduled for the last week of January, the event coincides with the major Old Master auctions and scholarly events focused on drawings. It is a week dedicated to historic art, where collectors, scholars, museum curators and dealers travel to New York from around the world to view artwork and participate in the events around the city.